Alert Banner

In alignment with the campus directives regarding precautions surrounding COVID-19, the Economics, History and Advising Center is now physically closed. Our advisors remain available remotely and will be offering academic advising appointments to students through phone or Zoom. Once you have scheduled your appointment in the online appointment system, your advisor will reach out to you via email with instructions on how to connect with them. 

Frequently Asked Questions

We know you have questions. We hope you find these answers to inquiries from other applicants helpful.



I plan to attend graduate school in Economics. How should I prepare?

If you are considering a graduate program, review these tips.

What are the career opportunities with a major in Economics?

The discipline focuses on the allocation of resources, which is applicable to many professional pipelines.

Where can I find information related to graduate programs?

Visit the pre-professional advisor at the Student Academic Success Center, or SASC, located in 111 South Hall.


Can I double major in Economics and Managerial Economics?

Unfortunately, a double major cannot be pursued at this time; however a major and minor combination is certainly possible. These programs exceed the maximum unit overlap allowed between major programs. Exceptions can be petitioned through the College of Letters and Science's Undergraduate Education Advising Office.

Can I major in Economics and minor in Managerial Economics?

Yes. Visit both departments to meet with undergraduate academic advisors for more information.

What do I need to declare a double major?

We encourage you to meet with the undergraduate academic advisors for your major programs to ensure compliance with any specific rules that would affect success in petitioning for a double major. Minimally you will need to:

  • Complete all lower division preparatory work in Economics
  • Maintain a 2.0 GPA or better in completed Economics coursework
  • Maintain good academic standing overall

Petitions can now be submitted online through the myUCDavis student portal.

  • Select “Academics” on top left
  • Select “Student Advising”
  • Select “Forms & Petitions”

What do I need to declare a major in Economics?

You will need to be in good academic standing as well as have an overall GPA of 2.0 and an upper division GPA of 2.0 (if applicable) for the major.
You can review the major check list here 


I am trying to enroll in upper division ECN courses during Pass 1 but Schedule Builder does not allow me to. What can I do?

In order to enroll in upper division courses, you must have completed 90 or more units and be declared in Economics. The only exception to the major restriction is ECN100A, 100B and ECN101. You must be a declared Economics student during Pass 1 to register for upper division Economics courses. All restrictions will be lifted during Pass 2, at which time you will be able to register and/or be added to the wait list for upper division Economics courses.

What courses should I take after STA13 and ECN102?

This is changing over time as there are more offerings.


  • Economics 140 (Econometrics) This presents regression theory and methods in more detail than 102.
  • Economics 190 (Topics in Economics) will include at least one more advanced econometrics course, beginning 2018-19.
  • Several economics courses include some regression analysis of data.
    These courses are in the Data Analytics and Economics Analysis Specialization Track of the Economics major.
    Currently ECN 132 (Health Economics) and ECN 145 (Transportation Economics). 
    More courses may be added over time.

Statistics courses are listed here. Most immediately useful for economists are 

  • Statistics 108 (Applied Statistical Methods: Regression Analysis).
  • Statistics 130A-B (Mathematical Statistics: Brief Course). 
    This is bread-and-butter statistics, often required for graduate degrees.
  • Statistics 131A-C (Mathematical Statistics). More advanced version of 130A-B. Take either 130 or 131.
  • Statistics 137 (Applied Time Series Analysis).
  • Statistics 141A-C (Data Science, Data and Web Technologies, Big Data)

minor in Statistics is Stat 106, 108, 130A-B (or 131A-B) and 1 course with 130B as a pre-requisite.
major in Statistics requires 48-52 upper division units depending on which trak you take.

This new small program offers two courses listed here.

  • STS 101 (Introduction to Data Studies). Data manipulation using Excel.
  • STS 115 (Data Science and Exploration). Case studies using R.


Computer science courses are listed here. Most useful may be

  • ECS 10 (Introduction to Programming). Programming in Python.
  • ECS 30 (Programming and problem solving). Programming in C.
  • ECS 116 (Data bases for non-majors). Relational databases. SQL.



Mathematics courses are listed here with detailed syllabi here
To strengthen mathematics for economics take more advanced courses in linear algebra and calculus.

  • MAT 22A (Linear Algebra). Covers vectors and matrices.
  • MAT 67 (Modern Linear Algebra). More advanced course than 22A. Requires 21A.
  • MAT 25 (Advanced Calculus). Require 21C.
  • MAT 125A (Real Analysis). Requires 25. Calculus at an even more advanced level


Can ARE 142, 143, or 144 count for the Economics major?

Unfortunately, these courses are not allowed for credit toward the Economics major. Only the following ARE coursers may be used toward degree credit:  115A, 115B, 139, 156, 166, 171A, 175 and 176. For more information, please meet with an Economics advisor.

I have not taken ECN100A, 100B or 101 yet. Can I take other upper division ECN courses?

ECN100A/100B/101 are prerequisites for the advanced courses. You may pursue any upper division Economics History or Economics Elective courses

  • History: 110A-B, 111A-B
  • Electives: 115A-B, 162, 171, and selected 190s

I need to choose 12 units of elective courses in Economics. What courses can be applied toward this requirement?

Any upper division Economics course can be used toward your elective requirements.

If I take a course at another institution, how can I get this course approved for use toward Economics requirements?

If you take a course at the community college in California, you can use ASSIST to determine articulation. It is also recommended that you review the Economics course archive.

Should I take ECN100A and ECN 100B before ECN101?

The order in which you complete these core courses is not critical.

Should I take MAT16 or MAT21 series?

If you plan to attend graduate school in Economics or business, the MAT21 series is highly suggested. For students who plan to go directly into the workforce, the MAT16 series is appropriate.

What is the difference between ECN162 and ECN160A-B?

ECN162: International Economic Relations is intended for non-majors, and summarizes both ECN160A-B. Economics majors can take ECN162 for full credit but should not take ECN160A-B because only 2 units of credit will be granted for ECN160A-B.

If you take ECN160A-B before ECN162, you will not receive credit for ECN162.


Will I be able to get into a waitlisted Economics course?

There is a great deal of movement on waitlists in the first week of classes.  However, faculty cannot guarantee you a spot in the course as our department does not issue permission to add or "PTA" codes.  There would have to be other students choosing to drop the course in order for you to be added.

Our advice would be to attend the class for the week as well as a back up course.  If you are not in the course by the end of a full week of classes then you should give up and try again another quarter.