Future financial aid prospects

What about financial aid for future years, after the first year in the graduate program?

Continuing graduate students can apply for financial aid each year, in advance for the following year (nonresident tuition fellowships and TAships). Nonresident tuition fellowships are offered annually to international students on a competitive basis. The department has a point ranking system that considers each student's progress in the program, grades, performance on prelim exams, and the quality of recent past TA evaluations for those who have worked as TAs for our department. Continuing student financial aid for the following year usually is offered by early June each year. Our best students generally receive fellowships for close to full nonresident tuition; almost all international students receive at least partial nonresident tuition funding. Additional aid also is offered in the form of TAships and, in later years, research assistant (RA) positions. RAs are entitled to have full in-state fees and nonresident tuition paid by the university for RA quarters. Students also can apply for TAships or RAships in other departments on campus, such as Mathematics, Statistics and/or the Agricultural and Resource Economics. International students become eligible for a "reduced nonresident tuition fee" after “advancement to candidacy.” The reduced nonresident tuition fee is for a period of up to three years beyond the advancement date. Students can become eligible for this by the time the fourth year begins. We are well aware of the financial burden that tuition fees exert and, to date, we usually succeed in giving students at least some assistance. The Graduate Handbook contains information about advancement to candidacy.