Frequently Asked Questions

We know you have questions. We hope you find these answers to inquiries from other applicants helpful.



I plan to attend graduate school in Economics. How should I prepare?

If you are considering a graduate program, review these tips.

What are the career opportunities with a major in Economics?

The discipline focuses on the allocation of resources, which is applicable to many professional pipelines.

Where can I find information related to graduate programs?

Visit the pre-professional advisor at the Student Academic Success Center, or SASC, located in 111 South Hall.



Can I double major in Economics and Managerial Economics?

Unfortunately, a double major cannot be pursued at this time; however a major and minor combination is certainly possible. These programs exceed the maximum unit overlap allowed between major programs. Exceptions can be petitioned through the College of Letters and Science's Undergraduate Education Advising Office.

Can I major in Economics and minor in Managerial Economics?

Yes. Visit both departments to meet with undergraduate academic advisors for more information.

What do I need to declare a double major?

We encourage you to meet with the undergraduate academic advisors for your major programs to ensure compliance with any specific rules that would affect success in petitioning for a double major. Minimally you will need to:

  • Complete all lower division preparatory work in Economics
  • Maintain a 2.0 GPA or better in completed Economics coursework
  • Maintain good academic standing overall

Petitions can now be submitted online through the myUCDavis student portal.

  • Select “Academics” on top left
  • Select “Student Advising”
  • Select “Forms & Petitions”

What do I need to declare a major in Economics?

You will need to be in good academic standing as well as have an overall GPA of 2.0 and an upper division GPA of 2.0 (if applicable) for the major.
You can review the major check list here 



I am trying to enroll in upper division ECN courses during Pass 1 but Schedule Builder does not allow me to. What can I do?

In order to enroll in upper division courses, you must have completed 90 or more units and be declared in Economics. The only exception to the major restriction is ECN100A, 100B and ECN101. You must be a declared Economics student during Pass 1 to register for upper division Economics courses. All restrictions will be lifted during Pass 2, at which time you will be able to register and/or be added to the wait list for upper division Economics courses.

What courses should I take after STA13 and ECN102?

Economics Courses with Data Analysis — this will expand over time, and the following list may not be complete. Currently, it is recommended that you pursue:

1. ECN145: Economics of Transportation

Prerequisite: ECN100A, ECN 100B, MAT16A/B (or equivalent), STA13; does not require ECN102 but is more data-oriented, and ECN102 is recommended.

Course Description: examination of fundamental problems of planning and financing transportation infrastructure.

2. ECN151B: Economics of Human Resources

Prerequisite: ECN151A, does not require ECN102 and does not analyze data; however this course does require reading many important papers that are essentially regression studies.

Course Description: human capital theory and economics of education; theory of wage differentials, labor market discrimination, income distribution, and poverty.

3. ECN152: Economics of Education

Prerequisite: ECN100A, ECN 100B, and ECN102 or any upper division statistics course, MAT16A/B (or equivalent) with a C- grade or better

Course Description: this course applies theoretical and empirical methods of economics to issues related to education and education policy.

Economics Courses with Regression and Statistical Analysis — an econometrics or regression course will cover the regression model in more detail. It will generally involve more derivations of formulae.


  1. ECN140: Econometrics or ARE106: Quantitative Methods in Agricultural Economics
  2. STA108: Applied Statistical Methods: Regression Analysis

Statistics for Economists

  1. STA130A-B: Mathematical Statistics: Brief Course* 
This series is often required for graduate degrees.
  2. STA108: Applied Statistical Methods: Regression Analysis
  3. STA137: Applied Time Series Analysis
  4. *STA131A-B or STA131A-C: Introduction to Mathematical Statistics 
Recommended for mathematically strong students in place of STA130A-B.

Additional mathematics courses that are recommended to take after a calculus sequence include MAT22A: Linear Algebra. For student considering a math minor, it is recommended that you meet with the Mathematics advisor for more information.



Can ARE 142, 143, or 144 count for the Economics major?

Unfortunately, these courses are not allowed for credit toward the Economics major. Only the following ARE coursers may be used toward degree credit:  115A, 115B, 139, 156, 166, 171A, 175 and 176. For more information, please meet with an Economics advisor.

I have not taken ECN100A, 100B or 101 yet. Can I take other upper division ECN courses?

ECN100A/100B/101 are prerequisites for the advanced courses. You may pursue any upper division Economics History or Economics Elective courses

  • History: 110A-B, 111A-B
  • Electives: 115A-B, 162, 171, and selected 190s

I need to choose 12 units of elective courses in Economics. What courses can be applied toward this requirement?

Any upper division Economics course can be used toward your elective requirements.

If I take a course at another institution, how can I get this course approved for use toward Economics requirements?

If you take a course at the community college in California, you can use ASSIST to determine articulation. It is also recommended that you review the Economics course archive.

Should I take ECN100A and ECN 100B before ECN101?

The order in which you complete these core courses is not critical.

Should I take MAT16 or MAT21 series?

If you plan to attend graduate school in Economics or business, the MAT21 series is highly suggested. For students who plan to go directly into the workforce, the MAT16 series is appropriate.

What is the difference between ECN162 and ECN160A-B?

ECN162: International Economic Relations is intended for non-majors, and summarizes both ECN160A-B. Economics majors can take ECN162 for full credit but should not take ECN160A-B because only 2 units of credit will be granted for ECN160A-B.

If you take ECN160A-B before ECN162, you will not receive credit for ECN162.